Monday, September 6, 2010

Humanism

Okay, so the min purpose of this post is to ask a questions. As I have been reading about humanism lately I have really been impressed on the focus on the individual and empowering the individual to do great things. I have one questions though. How was the individual treated before the Humanist period? I think I would be able to understand better the significance of humanism if I knew more about the conditions that existed before. I will be trying to find more information on it, but please add your input.

2 comments:

Brandon McCloskey said...

As I understand it, the idea of humanism didn't necessarily change the way the individual was treated, as much as it changed the way people recognized potential in individuals. Breaking away from the feudal system meant letting people choose their own destinies rather than everyone being limited to the family business or whatever apprenticeship their class in society would allow. It was a radical way of thinking in that time, that man had unlimited potential.

Mike Lemon said...

If I remember correctly, before Humanism most people's thought on man came from Catholic doctrine. This doctrine taught that man is inherently evil and should accept fate. Humanism teaches that man can better his fate and look at himself as God's greatest creation.
This is my opinion at least.

Post a Comment